Monday, March 30, 2020

Week 10 Lab: The Hungry Hungry Crocodile (Rhyming Poem, Microfiction)

Monkey on the Crocodile's back: Yoga for Modern Age

There once was a monkey who lived in a tree
Happy and healthy yet hungry was he

For just cross the river there was a small grove
Of mangos bananas and foods that he loved

Meanwhile a crocodile was beginning to start
To dream of a scheme to eat monkey heart

So the croc yelled out to the monkey up high
“Cross on my back so youll stay nice and dry”

The monkey considered and pondered and thought
And decided “why not? I’ll give it a shot”

As soon as he jumped on the crocodiles back
The croc said “haha! Now your heart is my snack”

The monkey, so smart and clever was he,
“Well good thing my heart stays up in my tree”

The crocodile, confused, still wanted his snack
So he said, “go get it! And come straight back!”

As soon as the monkey landed on land,
He smiled and waved goodbye with his hand

“Foolish little croc, you’ll never get me!
You just let me escape and I’ll always be free”

Author's Note: Trying something a little different this week! I honestly had no idea that this is what I would end up with for this week; it actually just came to me! I woke up one morning with the first two stanzas in my head and then I pulled up my phone and wrote the rest (with slight modification to keep the same cadence). I used to always write poems like these for my family members' birthday/christmas/holiday cards, so I have a lot of practice with this style of writing! Im glad that I can put it to use for a grade finally! I hope you enjoyed the Dr. Seuss-esque rhyming poem!

Bibliography:
Ellin Babbit. "Jataka Tales" http://www.gatewaytotheclassics.com/browse/display.php?author=babbitt&book=jataka&story=monkey


No comments:

Post a Comment