Thursday, January 30, 2020

Week 3 Story: The Faucet vs. the Milli-Q

Once upon a time, in a research lab far, far away, a Scientist was conducting a very important experiment. At one point, the unthinkable happened and the Scientist accidentally poured a whole bottle of sulfuric acid into his reaction! They needed to save the reaction, and fast! If left uncorrected, the reaction, and maybe even the experiment, would be ruined forever. They consulted the heavenly Primary Investigator for guidance, and she suggest to dilute the solution using water from the Faucet.


So, They prayed for 0.271 teraseconds (Ts) to the Faucet to dispense some of this lifesaving water. Finally, the Faucet answered in the guise of a small vapor cloud that said, "You need my help, sure, but can you withstand the full force and raw quality of my water? Surely, you know that I should not be put into your reaction, the water I give is much too impure and would taint your reaction."
The Scientist looked crestfallen. They lowered their head thinking that there was no hope for their experiment, but the Faucet offered some wisdom.
"Go forth and pray to the Milli-Q, the device that can bear the force of my water and transform it miraculously into the purest water imaginable."

The Milli-Q in all its glory : Fisher Scientific

And so the Scientist prayed and prayed to the Milli-Q, and, after 0.008314 Ts, the Milli-Q responded thus: "Let the Faucet come down," the Milli-Q decreed. "I will help you. I will see to it that no drop of that water is wasted or allowed to trouble any experiment."
And so for 6.626 gigaseconds (Gs), the Scientist made the necessary preparations to connect the Milli-Q to the Faucet. They assembled tubes and gears, sinks and drains, and all manner of equipment. At the end of the Scientist's preparation, the Faucet, who was bringing water from the farthest reaches of the plumbing system, began the outpour with a roaring deluge of impure water. However, the Milli-Q, true to its word, was in place and received the impact and the deluge vanished within its chambers. For a while, the Faucet kept flooding more and more water into the Milli-Q, yet nothing came out the other end. The Scientist waited with bated breath, and worried that all their prayers had amounted to nothing. When, suddenly, the Milli-Q let out a small, calm stream of water that looked clearer than any water the Scientist had ever seen.
"Thats what a 22-micron filter can do for you," the Milli-Q said, grinning from tube to tube.
"It's beautiful," the Scientist whispered. "It's so pure."
Thus, the Scientist saved the experiment just in time to discover the answer to the question that no one cared  no, a hot dog is not a sandwich.

Author's Notes:
Whew! Second story in the books. This story is based on the Ganges River origin story where Bhagiratha is seeking salvation for his ancestors who died without receiving the proper funeral rights. At this time, there was no Ganges River, and even no oceans. He prays for many years to Brahma, who directs him to seek the help of both Shiva and Ganga (the goddess of the Ganges) to direct water down to the earth. After praying for tens of thousands of years each to both gods, and living an ascetic life subsisting off of practically nothing, Bhagiratha finally witnesses Ganga release the flood onto the earth and Shiva absorbs the force, releasing just a small stream that eventually becomes the Ganges. Bhagiratha saved his relatives, and India now has the holy Ganges River because of it.
To help understand my story, one Ts is equal to about 32,000 years, and one Gs is equal to about 32 years. A Primary Investigator is the title for the professor that is in charge of entire research topic, usually a senior tenure professor who has associate professors, grad students, and undergrads working under her. A Milli-Q, in short, is a device that purifies water to such an extent that it is practically only H2O with no other chemicals in it. In my lab, we use a Milli-Q to remove even microscopic DNA from the water.
I really enjoyed the original story, and maybe because of that, I am not very happy with my story. It's ok but not great. Maybe I needed better characters than just a couple inanimate objects.... anyway I think next story I will try something else besides the science-children's story mix that I've done for the last two.

Bibliography:
Narayan, R. K. "The Ramayana"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel!
    I think this was a really interesting way to tell this story. At first, I had no idea what the source story could be but once I read your author's note it totally made sense. I do think it might be helpful to move the author's note or at least the parts that make your story easier to understand to the beginning of the post so that way your reader's understand what you are talking about before they dive into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, as a non STEM major, I appreciated a little injection of science into my life. I didn't understand half the terms, but you did a good job creating tension in the story. I also absolutely agree with you– a hot dog is not a sandwich. I'm glad to know that a man of science agrees with me. I did think it was interesting that you mostly chose inanimate objects to populate your story, but I also thought it was pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete