Friday, January 17, 2020

Time Strategies: Things that Unsuccessful People Do and More!

Hello VagaBuddies!

We are talking about time management strategies today! Fun!

Blog | Writing and Communication Centre | University of ...
I honestly wonder this everytime, then my friend tells me "I dont know how you do everything you do." So I guess I just overwork myself: University of Waterloo Writing and Communication Center

I have always been a quite involved person (in high school I juggled cross country, theater, advanced classes, drum line,  and several clubs at the same time, and I've only slowed down a tiny bit!), so time management is a skill that I always need to keep improving. This isn't to say that I don't have any time management skills; I would say it is quite the opposite. I just recognize that I could always get better (read: I could spend less free time mindlessly scrolling through dance trends on TikTok).
One of my biggest problems is that I feel like I don't have much time in the day, so I was immediately attracted to the article 3 Steps to Recapture Time. I found this article really interesting, especially the part about "Recognizing the Pruning Season." I always find it difficult to finally quit a project before completion, but it is definitely important to let a project go when it isn't working. It's hard to put time and creativity into something that just won't bear fruit.
The second article I read was 11 Ways Unsuccessful People Mismanage Their Time, which attracted me with a good title. I am a firm believer that a good way to learn is to understand why the other way is wrong, and this article does exactly that. By pointing out traits that lead to time mismanagement, such as not planning fun time or even scheduling at all, it inherently tells what to do instead. For me, the time "mismanagement" strategy I most related to was juggling too much, because I constantly feel like I am pulling myself in different directions. However, one way in which I combat this is to plan ahead for challenging times and decide in advance what order to give things up. For example, if my schedule gets busy, the first thing I will stop doing is tutoring math, since I am fortunate enough to be able to get by without that paycheck for a week or so. That extra ten-fifteen hours a week would help me get back on track and back to my normal routine.
One thing that I hope to incorporate into my time management strategies would be pruning, the art of cutting things out. I hope to use this to limit my unproductive time in between various activities throughout the day, so that I can be productive during the day and actually get a full eight hours of sleep at night!
Here's hoping for more sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment