Thursday, February 27, 2020

Reading Notes: Narayan's Mahabharata Part C

Hello VagaBuddies!

The Mahabharata is kicking off! But before I get to the things I didn't like, I want to again go into how much I dislike King Dhritarashtra. He again did a lot of wishy-washy coward-like things such as not yielding to the Pandevas like he should, and ignoring Vidura's advice on how to proceed. However,  he did have a slight redemption in that he realizes his own incompetence, and literally tells Vidura "I am helpless (around my son Duryodhana)." Even if he isn't able to actually make the tough decisions, I at least respect him for recognizing his fate and his weaknesses.

Pandavas in Hiding comic book cover by Anant Pai: Amazon

One story that I really enjoyed in this reading was the story of Yudhishthira's test by his father Yama at the lake. It was a little comical that four of the brothers would all drink the water and "die" (I also don't think they actually die, but get knocked out or go unconscious or something, because that makes more sense). Normally all the brothers being foolish would annoy me, but it seemed at least plausible that someone who was so thirsty wouldn't listen to a random voice on a lake. AND, it also sets Yudhishthira up to be super wise and clever, which I enjoyed. I like stories that involved someone being clever. It also felt justified and logical that it was Yama, the god of Dharma and death, and Yudhishthira's father, to test him. This was also a good way to receive the boon of being incognito for their year in the city without it feeling like it was undeserved or anything! 
Speaking of living in the city, I laughed out load at the part where the brothers and Draupadi were choosing their jobs for the next year. When Yudhishthira announced that he wanted to play dice with the king, I could literally picture exactly the look of doubtful skepticism from each of the brothers and wife! After he had gotten them into exile in the first place with his gambling problem, it was funny to see Yudhishthira go right back to the dice.  
Can't wait to finish the story!
VagaBuon Voyage!

Mahabharata. Narayan. R.K. pp 85-131

No comments:

Post a Comment