Monday, February 3, 2020

Feedback Strategies: Why You Suck and How I Can Say That Better

Hello Vagabuddies!

Here is some helpful feedback: Be honest. I read two articles this week on how to give better feedback: How to Provide Great Feedback When You’re Not In Charge and How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk.
One of the most important things someone can learn how to do is give and receive great feedback, and use that feedback to improve. One characteristic of great feedback for me is being honest. It sounds ridiculous, but people often see right through the classic "Compliment Sandwich" of a complaint coming before and after a compliment. This was echoed in the second article I read that also found fault in the Compliment Sandwich.

Compliment Sandwich (BAD): LifeHack

I work as a math tutor to kids (usually in grade school but some high schoolers), and the one thing that I think I do best over other instructors is I never sugarcoat the students' mistakes. I don't treat what I say lightly, because saying the wrong thing to a child can be devastating, but I also treat them like they can handle it (which they can). Through this and other experiences,  I have learned that people take feedback much better if you're honest with them. This can certainly be awkward, but I think the first article did a great job of explaining how to phrase your feedback so it is less awkward. For example, opening yourself up to any feedback, and asking if the other person would want to hear your feedback, is a great way of leveling the playing field. This lets any advice given as coming from an equal peer, not a teacher or a boss.

Overall, the articles gave great advice on phrasing certain types of feedback, and I can't wait to put it to use!
Goodbye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment